Religious life is a whole-hearted response to God's love and invitation to identify totally with Jesus' mission of bringing abundant life to people who are poor or suffering.
Is God calling you?
Do you feel attracted to a life of service and prayer and no matter what you do, you can't shake that feeling? If so, then you should explore life in community with the Sisters of the Humility of Mary. And as you are exploring our website, please go to the MY STORY page and read the inspiring and encouraging stories of how HM Sisters answered their own call.
What does it mean to be a Sister?
A Sister is a woman belonging to a religious community and living
- a life given wholeheartedly to God through vows of poverty, chastity and obedience;
- a life of prayer and spiritual growth that sustains her living and supports her ministry;
- a life of sharing and celebrating with others in community;
- a life of responding to a love that has chosen her.
What are the vows that women religious make?
- The Vow of Poverty - a desire to live a simple, uncluttered life, free of attachment to material gain, so that we may commit our lives to the Gospel of Jesus.
- The Vow of Chastity - a response to God whose love has come to us so abundantly that we want to give all we are in return. In chastity we make a choice not to marry and vow to give ourselves out in tender and compassionate love for others.
- The Vow of Obedience is a commitment to listen for and respond to the voice of God spoken in our own hearts and through community as we discern choices and decisions that face us.
The vows deepen our relationship with God, sharpen our spiritual focus, and free us to respond with light and joy to God and God's people.
How do HM Sisters live?
- We share life in community.
- We spend time together in prayer, conversation and celebration.
- We support one another in ministry.
The first step
If all of the above still captures your interest, then you need to contact our membership office at the number below to schedule a time to meet with a member of the HM Membership Team:
- to help you see if there is a growing connection with our community's spirit and mission;
- to explore your questions;
- to reflect on God's movement in your life;
- to grow in self-knowledge
The path to becoming an HM Sister
Pre-candidacy: usually 6-12 months
- An initial period of discernment
- Regular meetings with a sister from the HM membership team
- Formal application process
- Visiting community members
- Live-in experiences
- Spending time at Villa Maria Community Center
Candidacy: usually 1-2 years
- Living with and participating in the life of a small group of HM Sisters
- Continuing your current studies or employment
- Learning more about our life and mission
- Getting to know more members of the community
Novitiate: 2 years
- Deepening your relationship with God through prayer, reflection and spiritual direction
- Learning about vowed life
- Deepening your theological foundation
- Volunteering in ministry (part time)
- Exploring our community history, charism and ministries
Temporary profession: 3-6 years
- Making temporary vows of poverty, chastity and obedience
- Confirming and deepening your call to life in community
- Engaging in ministry
Profession of perpetual vows
- Committing your life as a Humility of Mary Sister
- A life-long adventure
For more information
Contact Sr. Sharon Cahill or Sr. Mary Slattery
Membership Office: 724-964-8920 ext. 3383
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org